Like their guitar manufacturing, the basses were hand crafted by skilled craftsmen using special ordered machinery.
They even had a hot stamping machine that could emboss the trademark KAY cursive script.
In addition to manufacturing instruments for sale under its own brands, Kay was also a prolific manufacturer of "house branded" guitars and folk instruments for other Chicago-based instrument makers and, at times, for major department stores including Sears and Montgomery Ward.
Kay also made guitar amplifiers, beginning with designs carried over from the old Stromberg company.
Louis Music, Also, Kay produced a line of archtop acoustics called Kamico.
Kay’s current line includes low priced acoustic, electric and bass guitars, and moderately priced banjos, ukuleles, mandolins and resonators.
After the retirement of Kuhrmeyer in 1955, the company was taken over by Sidney M. The product line of Kay was shifted toward electric musical instruments on demands, and in 1964, the company moved to a new factory in Elk Grove Village, Illinois.
but eventually grew to make a wide variety of stringed instruments, including violins, cellos, banjos, upright basses—and a variety of different types of guitars, including classical guitars, lap steel guitars, semi-acoustic guitars, and solid body electrics.
Some of Kay's lower-grade instruments were marketed under the Knox and Kent brand names.
These instruments featured a flat top with no f-holes, a free-floating arched back, and two braces running along the top.
The result was a semi-acoustic instrument that was feedback-resistant while retaining natural acoustic resonances.
This instrument debuted in 1952, and featured a single cutaway body, a distinctive tortoiseshell pickguard, and a pair of thin blade-style pickups that gave the guitar its name.