(From top, left to right) Holy Rosary Seminary, Universidad de Santa Isabel, Naga Metropolitan Cathedral, Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Ateneo de Naga University, Our Lady of Peñafrancia Shrine, Malabsay Falls, Naga City Hall, Carmelite Monastery, Peñafrancia Festival Majority of Naga's population are 15 years and below.
The town was established in 1575 on order of Spanish Governor-General Francisco de Sande, the city, then named Ciudad de Nueva Cáceres (New Cáceres City), earned its status as the third Spanish Royal City in the Spanish East Indies after Iloilo and Manila.
This was the reason why bishops of Cáceres and archbishops of Manila were sometimes engaged in interesting controversies in the sensational Naga case and in such issues as canonical visitation and the secularization of the parishes.
As papal delegate, Bishop Francisco Gaínza, then concurrent bishop of Cáceres, sat in the special ecclesiastical tribunal which passed upon the civil authorities' petition to divest Fathers Burgos, Gómez, and Zamora of their priestly dignity.
By virtue of the papal bull of Gregory XIII, ecclesiastical cases originating in the Spanish East Indies, which ordinarily were appealable to the Pope, were ordered to be terminated there and no longer elevated to Rome.
Decisions of bishops were made appealable to the archbishop and those of the latter to the bishop of the nearest see.
Naga is the core of Metro Naga, an official designation given the city and 14 municipalities in the area administered by the Metro Naga Development Council.
When someone speaks about Naga, it immediately refers to the Bicolandia, and this has always been, since from the time Naga became a full fledged city.
For hundreds of years during the Spanish colonial era, Naga grew to become the center of trade, education and culture, and the seat of ecclesiastical jurisdiction in Bicol.
Geographically classified under Camarines Sur but administratively independent, Naga is the Bicol Region's trade, due to its central location in the Bicol Peninsula; and as the Pilgrim City because Naga is also home to the largest Marian pilgrimage in Asia, the Our Lady of Peñafrancia.
Naga is also known as One of the Seven Golden Cities of the Sun as stated by Nick Joaquin.
It acquired its present city charter in 1948, and its city government was inaugurated on December 15 of the same year by virtue of Republic Act No. With only a few casualties, Naga was able to rebuild quickly after the war.
After many petitions, Naga became a city in June 18, 1948.
It had a city government as prescribed by Spanish law, with an ayuntamiento and cabildo of its own.